Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Child allowance

Child allowance is paid to children until they turn 19 years of age 80 euros per child per month.
The allowance is paid for the ongoing month on the 8th date.

To whom?

Child allowance is paid to children until they turn 19 years of age. After that the allowance is paid to children without secondary education who continue their studies, until they finish school, or until the end of that schoolyear during which they turn 19 years of age.


The amount of the child allowance depends on the number of children in the family:

  • Family with one or two children eligible for the child allowance - 80 euros per child per month;
  • Family with three or more children eligible for the child allowance - 100 euros per child per month starting from the third child.

Schoolyear begins on September 1st and ends on August 31st (in the final year of secondary school, on June 30th).

If your child is 19 years old and studies in Estonia, you do not need to file a separate certificate. The schools will enter data into Estonian Education Information System EHIS about their students.

If the child studies abroad, the EHIS does not have this data and you must present a school certificate about studying abroad to us each year. We kindly ask you to email the certificate to [email protected], mail it to Paldiski mnt 80, 15092 Tallinn, or submit it to your closest Social Insurance Board local office.

NB! The amounts of child allowances may not always be assigned according to the age of the children, i.e. not corresponding the order of birth, which means that the third child (by the birthdate) may be assigned 80 EUR per month and the second child 100 EUR per month. This view may vary between parents. This may happen if you change the recipient of the allowance. If you have a wish that child allowances are assigned according to the order of birth of the children, please let us know about it through self-service communication or by e-mail at [email protected].

How to get?

No application is required for an allowance!

If your family is entitled to the allowance, you will find a benefits offer in our self service portal after you have registered the birth of your child.

If you and your family have moved to Estonia from abroad or you become entitled to an allowance due to, for example, adoption or guardianship or other, please contact us through the self service portal or by e-mail at [email protected]

Additional information

We kindly ask you to inform us, should the child quit their studies for any reason during the schoolyear. If the child allowance payments continue for a child who is no longer entitled to the allowance, you must later return the excess payments.

If data has not reached EHIS by the time when the allowances are paid out at the beginning of a new schoolyear (for instance, when the child has changed schools, etc.), a small gap could occur in the allowance payments. The allowance will be paid out retrospectively, as soon as possible after receiving the required information.

Related links

Family allowances

Last updated: 23.04.2024

Was this page helpful??