Preventing harmful situations is the best way of avoiding the children’s need for help. Prevention of problems is always more effective than dealing with consequences. It is essential to identify problems at an early stage and take action as soon as possible.
In Estonia, prevention is regarded as a cross-sectorial issue, that is addressed within the government areas of the Ministry of Social Affairs, the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Education and Research.
- National Health Plan 2009-2020 (PDF) (PDF)
- Strategy for Preventing Violence 2015-2020 (PDF) (PDF)
- Internal Security Strategy 2015-2020 (PDF) EST (PDF)
- Youth Field Development Plan 2014-2020 (PDF) (PDF)
- The Concept for Improving the Support System for Children and Youth at Risk (PDF) PDF)
Prevention in the field of child protection is managed by the Social Insurance Board and local government authorities.
The Social Insurance Board coordinates prevention across sectors (social, education, medicine, legal protection). In order to do this, the Child Protection Department:
- counsels local governments in preparing development plans that support the well-being of children and families;
- assists child protection workers in selecting the necessary measures to help children in need;
- organises information events and training sessions for specialists working with children.
Prevention in the field of child protection is based on the Strategy of Children and Families 2012-2020 (PDF) (PDF) (Annex 2. Public health-based model approach in prevention).
The functions of local government units include the development and implementation of prevention programmes and projects to safeguard the rights and welfare of children, and the provision of services to children in need and their families.
Prevention in the field of child protection is coordinated by Nadežda Leosk, Adviser of the Child Protection Department, Nadezda.Leosk@sotsiaalkindlustusamet.ee.
- Rahvastiku tervise arengukava 2009–2020
- Vägivalla ennetamise strateegia 2015-2020 (PDF)
- Siseturvalisuse arengukava 2015 – 2020 (PDF)
- Noortevaldkonna arengukava 2014 – 2020 (PDF)
- Laste ja noorte valdkondadeülese tugisüsteemi väljaarendamise lähtealused (PDF)
- nõustame kohalikke omavalitsusi laste ja peredega arvestavate arengukavade koostamisel,
abistame lastekaitsetöötajaid abivajavatele lastele vajalike meetmete valikul,
korraldame lastega töötavatele spetsialistidele teavitusüritusi ja koolitusi.
Lastekaitse alases ennetustöös lähtume Laste ja perede arengukavast 2012-2020 (PDF) (Lisa 2. „Rahvatervise mudelile tuginev lähenemine ennetustöös“).